Challenges for Engineers for a Greener Future
27 May – 12 June 2020
The US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine recently convened a committee of prominent environmental engineers, scientists, and policy experts to identify grand challenges and opportunities in environmental engineering for the next decades, which resulted into the publication “Environmental Engineering for the 21st Century: Addressing Grand Challenges” (2019). Inspired by this analysis, the Department of Environmental, Land and Infrastructure Engineering and the Education Board of Environmental and Land Engineering of Politecnico di Torino is launching a series of webinars on the five challenges identified by the National Academies plus two specific challenges related to energy transition and raw materials. Some of our faculty members will provide evidence of the contribution that engineering may give to a sustainable future and to present the education offer of Politecnico di Torino in these specific domains.
- 27 May - Curb Climate Change and Adapt to Its Impacts - Rallentare il cambiamento climatico e adattarsi ai suoi impatti (ENG) (155,80 kB), Speaker: Peter Wadhams;
- 28 May - Sustainably Supply Food, Water and Energy - Fornire cibo, acqua ed energia in modo sostenibile (ENG) (162,89 kB), Speaker: Stefania Tamea;
- 3 June - Create Efficient, Healthy, Resilient Cities - Città efficienti, vivibili e resilienti (ITA) (160,50 kB), Speaker: Roberto Revelli;
- 5 June - Foster Informed Decisions and Actions - Promuovere decisioni e azioni consapevoli (ITA) (164,26 kB), Speaker: Stefano Lo Russo;
- 8 June - Design a Future Without Pollution - Progettare un futuro senza inquinamento (ITA) (161,53 kB), Speaker: Mariachiara Zanetti;
- 10 June - Critical Raw Materials for a clean planet - Materie prime critiche per un pianeta pulito (ENG) (163,76 kB), Speaker: Gian Andrea Blengini;
- 12 June - Decarbonization, the hit is on - Decarbonizzazione, il processo è avviato (ENG) (164,27 kB), Speaker: Francesca Verga;
All the webinars, free of charge, will take place at 6 p.m. CEST and will include a 20-minute presentation and a Q&A session.
The webinars will be either in English or in Italian (specified in the title)